Wednesday, May 23, 2012

So far, So good


I'm pretty proud of myself so far with Fit League. I've really dug deep and pushed hard each week so far. I haven't cried or quit. Not even a little.

That's not to say I haven't listened to my body when it says "take a little break, you can't breathe." But they're little breaks, and I don't feel like its giving up.

So far each week they give us a 15-20 minute warm up; running, crossovers, butt kicks, high knees, etc. Which was a little easier for me this week than the previous two weeks. And then they split the teams. For the remaining 40 minutes, half the time we're tested and half we're doing team drills that should help us with future tests and build up our strength and endurance.

Last weeks test was the number of squats you could do in 1 minute. And how many times you could run across the soccer field in 5 minutes. I got in about 25 squats and 8 field lengths. And this week we were tested to see how many pull ups (or alternatively, reverse rows) you could do in 1 minute, and how many box jumps in 1 minute. I couldn't even get to the pull up bar so I choose to do reverse rows with the rings, I accomplished 20 (which felt pretty good to me but what do I know?), and 27 box jumps.

The team drills are killer too. Last week we were doing some sprints, burpees, mountain climbers, jumping jacks, and walking lunge drills. Followed by some core exercises such as balancing on an exercise ball, walking yourself out and back on your hands; the idea being to hold yourself steady on the ball using core muscles. Once I got the hang of it, I didn't do as badly as I expected, in fact I didn't fall off the ball at all. And also doing push ups or planks while rolling a medicine ball between your hands. I do find that I'm better with the more strength based stuff than the running. I'm not good at running. Today we did more shuttle runs, increasing in length each time out. We also did this thing where we started in a plank, then walked our feet forward to meet our hands, then walked our hands back out to a plank. Wow those were pretty intense. In between sets of these we did versions of crunches, squats, and jumping jacks.

Something I need to work on:
  • Learning to not hold my breath and breathe properly
  • My cardio stamina 
I sweat a lot and am exhausted when I leave. And end up a little sore the next day. But it's good. And actually kind of fun (wait, who just said that?)

Though every time I walk down that long industrial road I still feel like I'm walking to impending death.



I saw the sign...



The beginning of the road.

Still going

Getting closer

Almost there
Finally the Boston Athletic Club

No comments:

Post a Comment