Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Perks of Farmer's Markets

One of the greatest things about my office's location is that during the summer I am only 1 block away from the Dewey Square farmers market on the Greenway, which happens to be a twice a week market. There's always a variety of farmers, with delicious looking fruit and produce, as well as cheese, eggs, meats, breads, and other tasty delights like hummus, cooking sauces, and pesto. Even if I don't plan to buy anything I love just walking through and checking things out. This week I bought a couple of tomatoes and some peaches to leave at my desk to eat as snacks or with my lunches. There is nothing like a fresh farm tomato cut up and eaten as is.

I had only planned my lunch for the first 3 days this week, so today I didn't bring anything. I was really craving pizza for some reason, but talked myself into walking through the market to see what I could find before I decided on pizza. Which, it turns out, was a good decision. I decided on a Greek Salad with chicken & hummus pita wrap from Seta's Mediterranean Foods. So good. Kind of pricey, but it was pretty big and filling. Inside the soft pita wrap was a near perfect balance of lettuce, tomato, cucumbers, marinated olives, feta, hummus, and grilled chicken.

Judging from the website, Seta's products are only available at farmer's markets around Boston (Copley, Davis, Dewey, and Union Sqs). She uses locally sourced ingredients, and her menu of items changes by the season ranging from hummus and babaganoush to salads with orzo or quinoa or lentils.

So, I'm proud of myself for deciding on a healthy sandwich rather than pizza and I can't wait to buy some of her other products to take home sometime in the hear future.

No comments:

Post a Comment