Tuesday, September 20, 2011

And then there were two tomatoes

Knowing I had about a dozen or so tomatoes left after canning and eating them, I had my mind set on making tomato soup. The hardest part of tomato soup is making sure it doesn't taste like a thin tomato sauce or marinara, so I tried to stay away from recipe's the called for a lot of basil. Originally I was seeking roasted tomato soup recipes, but decided on a Tomato, Dill and White Cheddar Soup from Sunday Soup (a cookbook that was a gift and has some really great soups- and I LOVE soup).



I did make a couple changes to the recipe. First, I used diced fresh tomatoes rather than canned. Second, I used a mixture of yellow onion, red onion, and shallot rather than leeks, because I already had them in the house. And last, I halved the recipe so I could use just what I had for tomatoes.

2 cups onion, chopped
2-3 cloves garlic, crushed

8-10 tomatoes, diced
2 cups vegetable broth
3-4 tablespoons dill, chopped
1/8 teaspoon cayenne or to taste
salt & pepper to taste
1/4 cup sour cream
White Cheddar Cheese




Saute the onions and garlic until onions are soft and transluscent. Add tomatoes, broth, dill, cayenne, salt & pepper. Simmer in pot for about 20 minutes, until tomatoes are soft.



Transfer, in batches if necessary, to food processor.



Once you've reached your desired smoothness (I left mine a little chunky), transfer back to the pot on low heat. Once the is simmering again, whisk in the sour cream.


Serve with a few pieces of thinly shaved white cheddar cheese (I used Cabot Sharp Cheddar)


This soup isn't a thick or smooth tomato, but it's very flavorful and not too thin. It's great on it's own but the cheddar really enchances the creaminess and rounds out the flavors. I have a feeling that it'll taste even better once it has sat overnight.

And now there are just two tomatoes left from that big batch I brought home with me. Not sure what I will do with those ones yet. Maybe eat them with some mozzarella and basil.

What's your favorite late summer/fall soup?

No comments:

Post a Comment